Skip to main content

Fixing the Bosch mixer shredder



We bought a new Bosch mixer a few months ago. Previous one died after few years but had the same problem as the new one: as soon as a bit of water gets onto the shredder head, it starts spitting rusty liquid into the shredding can.

The head has "no water" sign on it but it's impossible to avoid all water contact since drops of food get on it during the operation and have to be cleaned somehow.



The head can be basically pulled apart as it has no screws or glue, start on the side and then pull the internal bottom gear away.

The problem is clear: metal collet hiding inside the bottom gear is completely covered in rust. It's not staneless and not even lubricated.



Overnight vinegar bath and a lot of paper towels mostly fix that.



Assembling back with a lot of food-safe silicone grease.



Covering the metal with grease from all sides to delay rusting next time water gets on it.



Final assembly requires pushing down the top pin.



Filling in the side wall damage with grease and wiping the excess away with a paper towel to prevent easy water access. Back to the onion shredding business 😃 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WeMos D1 mini 433mhz receiver - use D8 for DATA

It took me hours to figure out why my WeMos D1 mini + 433mhz receiver work normally when connected to a PC/Arduino IDE, but doesn't work when powered through a power bank or power pins.

Problem was that only D8 pin is pulled down on WeMos, others are not. Connecting DATA to D3 resulted in voltage not reaching 0 when it should have. D0 doesn't support interrupts at all, so RCSwitch wouldn't work.
Alternatively, manual pull down (connecting to group through a high-value resistor) on DATA line should also work.
Here's the basic code example, use "15" for D8 pin value.
P.S.: right GND marking (near antenna) on that 433mhz receiver is incorrect, it's likely to fry your Arduino if you actually connect it. Just don't connect it to anything.

GENO-K4 anti-scaling system - my experience

Background In our city the water is very hard - 19.3 dH according to one of my lab tests. During the first year after the home we live in was constructed we didn't use any water softening system and a few problem came as a result:
Hot water tank outlet got clogged with the sediment resulting in a massive hot water pressure dropHot water circulation pump got clogged up and has almost no effectHot water automatic over-pressure valve is clogged and leaking since it can't fully closeAnd of course a ton of mineral deposits on sinks, bathroom walls and taps
Disclaimer: this post documents my experience as a consumer and is not a professional advice. Things may wary based on behavior of a particular unit and water contents in your area.
I took a cursory look on the options available and picked GENO-K4 without much research since it didn't require salt or maintenance and had no risk of water contamination through the salt tank. I didn't find any user reviews for it though. Shou…

Transparent PC case

My old PC was taking too much space under the desk. I decided to make smaller case for it. I didn't want to use cardboard or chipboard but went with the acrylic / plexiglas in hopes of getting a better look. It didn't quite work out though.

Nobody knew that acrylic is so hard to jigsaw :-) So I settled for the 3D-printed front piece. The rest I was able to jigsaw and sand or cut-and-break.


It was very helpful to take a front photo of the case and use it as a template in Fusion 360.

I tried gluing the acrylic pieces together but it didn't hold very well and the glues smell awfully. Also, you might want to be able to open the case at a later point :-) So I used a soldering iron tip to force the M3 sockets into my 5mm walls.


Overall, it worked out OK for the first attempt at a PC case.


If I'd do it again, here are the few things I would do differently:

Buy a cheap table saw to cut the acrylicUse acrylic solvent glue instead of a general purpose clear oneFigure out a bette…