Skip to main content

How to fix a squeaking trampoline

It's our second year with Ampel 24 305 cm trampoline. First year, it started squeaking more or less immediately after assembly. I tired fixing that with spray lubrication, household lubrication oil and food-safe silicon grease. Nothing helped.


The solution that we have good results with this year is:
  • Use industrial multi-purpose grease
  • Apply with a brush to all metal-on-metal connections including frame and spring ends
  • We made sure to apply it on both sides of the connection e.g. outside of the male and inside the female frame ends
  • Also apply inside the bolt holes and under the washer - this will likely cause your bolts to get loose faster so check them regularly
There are downsides to this, of course. It about doubles the assembly time, especially if you'd like to wipe off the excess, and the nasty grease gets on some of the things you didn't want it on.


Result is a squeak-less trampoline. We had to come again to some of the springs and grease some more as there was a bit of noise initially. The only noise you hear now is from the fibers and the mat.



So, if you didn't put your trampoline together yet, this trick is for you. Otherwise you might want to wait until the next year :-)

UPDATE: a week later some springs started squeaking again. Oh, well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WeMos D1 mini 433mhz receiver - use D8 for DATA

It took me hours to figure out why my WeMos D1 mini + 433mhz receiver work normally when connected to a PC/Arduino IDE, but doesn't work when powered through a power bank or power pins.

Problem was that only D8 pin is pulled down on WeMos, others are not. Connecting DATA to D3 resulted in voltage not reaching 0 when it should have. D0 doesn't support interrupts at all, so RCSwitch wouldn't work.
Alternatively, manual pull down (connecting to group through a high-value resistor) on DATA line should also work.
Here's the basic code example, use "15" for D8 pin value.
P.S.: right GND marking (near antenna) on that 433mhz receiver is incorrect, it's likely to fry your Arduino if you actually connect it. Just don't connect it to anything.

GENO-K4 anti-scaling system - my experience

Background In our city the water is very hard - 19.3 dH according to one of my lab tests. During the first year after the home we live in was constructed we didn't use any water softening system and a few problem came as a result:
Hot water tank outlet got clogged with the sediment resulting in a massive hot water pressure dropHot water circulation pump got clogged up and has almost no effectHot water automatic over-pressure valve is clogged and leaking since it can't fully closeAnd of course a ton of mineral deposits on sinks, bathroom walls and taps
Disclaimer: this post documents my experience as a consumer and is not a professional advice. Things may wary based on behavior of a particular unit and water contents in your area.
I took a cursory look on the options available and picked GENO-K4 without much research since it didn't require salt or maintenance and had no risk of water contamination through the salt tank. I didn't find any user reviews for it though. Shou…

Transparent PC case

My old PC was taking too much space under the desk. I decided to make smaller case for it. I didn't want to use cardboard or chipboard but went with the acrylic / plexiglas in hopes of getting a better look. It didn't quite work out though.

Nobody knew that acrylic is so hard to jigsaw :-) So I settled for the 3D-printed front piece. The rest I was able to jigsaw and sand or cut-and-break.


It was very helpful to take a front photo of the case and use it as a template in Fusion 360.

I tried gluing the acrylic pieces together but it didn't hold very well and the glues smell awfully. Also, you might want to be able to open the case at a later point :-) So I used a soldering iron tip to force the M3 sockets into my 5mm walls.


Overall, it worked out OK for the first attempt at a PC case.


If I'd do it again, here are the few things I would do differently:

Buy a cheap table saw to cut the acrylicUse acrylic solvent glue instead of a general purpose clear oneFigure out a bette…