My old PC was taking too much space under the desk. I decided to make smaller case for it. I didn't want to use cardboard or chipboard but went with the acrylic / plexiglas in hopes of getting a better look. It didn't quite work out though.
Nobody knew that acrylic is so hard to jigsaw :-) So I settled for the 3D-printed front piece. The rest I was able to jigsaw and sand or cut-and-break.
It was very helpful to take a front photo of the case and use it as a template in Fusion 360.
I tried gluing the acrylic pieces together but it didn't hold very well and the glues smell awfully. Also, you might want to be able to open the case at a later point :-) So I used a soldering iron tip to force the M3 sockets into my 5mm walls.
Overall, it worked out OK for the first attempt at a PC case.
If I'd do it again, here are the few things I would do differently:
- Buy a cheap table saw to cut the acrylic
- Use acrylic solvent glue instead of a general purpose clear one
- Figure out a better way to place the M3 sockets
- Figure out a better CPU cooler story. Currently using small old cheap one - very noisy.
- Soft coupling between the case and the tabletop to avoid cooler vibration transfer (yes, the cooler is that bad!)